University reaches out to business
Tuesday, 8th January 2008
A Swansea IT entrepreneur is backing an exciting new programme launched by the city’s University to help businesses across Wales.
The Swansea University Business Forum or ‘Uni-Bus’ will see experts from departments including Computer Science, Telecommunications and Engineering offering their expertise to help companies test products or solve problems.
Andrew Downie, a Swansea University Graduate, who set up the award winning NetBop Technologies five years ago, is sponsoring the scheme. Andrew was offered helped to set up his company via the Spin Out programme through the University, which provided some initial funding as well as advice and mentoring.
As well as a web developer, Andrew has created his own products including Bopspam, which blocks junk e-mails and BopControl, a simple way for businesses to update their websites. NetBop Technologies will be offering its web developing and marketing expertise to the Uni-Bus programme.
Uni-Bus - University reaches out to businessAndrew added, “It’s a great idea. The university helped me and I believe that it has a lot to offer business. It can test products or even come up with solutions for companies. There is a wealth of facilities on the campus as well as the expertise in the departments and it is a very useful business resource.”
The University is launching the programme at an open evening on January 10th. Businesses across Wales are invited to go along to talk to the experts and learn more about the scheme.
Tim McCaffrey, Programme Manager of the Department of Research & Innovation at Swansea University, has helped set up the Uni-Bus programme, he said, “Every business has problems. Some could be fixed with some simple brain or equipment assistance. Swansea University wants to meet and help business overcome some of these through its knowledge and facilities.”
He added, “We believe this is a major step forward for both business and the university so we are planning seminars, information transfer through all media including web seminars, audio and video downloads, newsletters and local meetings where there will be an opportunity to discuss business ideas that work and problems that companies want to overcome.”
The open evening will be held at the University’s Computational Conference Centre on Thursday January 10th from 6pm. To book a place ring 01792 513707 or email email@example.com
For further details please contact NetBop on 01792 588 277 or visit
- NetBop Celebrates its Tenth Anniversary in business!
5th December 2012
- NetBop is delighted to judge the Swansea Bay Young Business Dragons 2012
16th November 2012
- NetBop pledges their support to Entrepreneurship Academy Wales by sponsoring a Student
17th August 2012
- NetBop continues its expansion into High Wycombe and the South East
11th May 2012
- NetBop's Director appointed on the Strategy Board for Swansea Employability Academy
15th March 2012
- Web Company goes for a run
26th September 2011
- NetBop Awarded 'Business of the Month' for July 2011.
11th July 2011
- Welsh web company announces UK expansion
12th May 2011
- Web firm NetBop completes new acquisition (PVM Web Design)
3rd February 2011
- NetBop continues its expansion and appoints a new Web Developer to join the current team
1st December 2010
- NetBop's Director appointed on the board of Swansea Business Improvement District (BID)
18th October 2010
- NetBop supports Knowledge Exchange Wales
31st March 2010
- Swansea company scales new height in customer service
7th January 2010
- NetBop expansion gets new office site
19th October 2009 – South Wales Evening Post
- Expansion’s no gamble for Swansea firm
18th September 2009
- NetBop is awarded Nominet UK membership becoming a .UK accredited registrar and managing domain names directly with the registry
12th August 2009
- NetBop becomes Qualified Google Advertising Professionals with 2 staff members being awarded recognition
2nd July 2009
- NetBop becomes the first company in Swansea to be approved by the Prompt Payment Code an inititive devised by the government with The Institute of Credit Management (ICM)
21st May 2009
- Investors in People
- Member of the Federation of Small Businesses
- Qualified Individual of Google Adwords
- Member of Nominet UK
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Rising Stars
- Web User Gold Award
- British Small Business Champions
- Listed under Wales Hot 100
- We support Bee Carbon Free