BopSpam – Website’s of the Day’s current anti-spam service of choice
Monday, 20th February 2006 – Miles Mendoza’s Website of the Day
Iíve recently been trying a newish anti-Spam service at home, and after a couple of months of use, Iím happy to give BopSpam a hearty recommendation.
While Iíve not been spam-free at home for several years, I had found that previously the problem was easily manageable using a free product like Mailwasher to identify and delete Spam emails before I downloaded them.
However towards the end of last year I noticed a dramatic increase in the number of spam messages sent to my home email address, which meant it was no longer practical for me to use a product which requires extensive intervention from me.
At work we have a pretty efficient spam filter which automatically removes spam messages before they reach my inbox, so I was hoping to find a similar product to use at home. Iíd noticed some pretty glowing reviews of BopSpam in the webby magazines, so I thought that would be the one to try.
Bopspam is a completely web-based service (so thereís no need to install any software). It works alongside your existing Internet Service Provider (Wanadoo, Tiscali, Virgin etc) to filter your emails before they reach your inbox.
The service is preconfigured to identify (and remove) email from many known spammers. But for best results, youíll need to take a week or two to train your account to recognise which messages you consider legitimate and which ones are spam. This is the key to the productís success rate. A weekly email newsletter from your local health authority might be essential reading to you, but your neighbour might consider the same message to be junk mail.
BopSpam relies on a custom-built database of which messages you have marked as legitimate and which ones you have identified as spam. The more messages you ďtagĒ the greater the chance of BopSpam automatically removing unwanted mail in future.
They boast that the product removes over 99% of spam from your inbox. Initially I found that it fell well short of that target, barely reaching 50% in the first week of use (in spite of my devoting 10-20 minutes a day ďtrainingĒ the service). I contacted Bopspamís technical support and received a very quick and very comprehensive response. One small tweak of settings later and the service improved dramatically. After 3 months of use, BopSpam is successfully removing 95% of all the spam I receive, and now requires minimum manual intervention.
In summary this product repays a bit of time spent setting it up. If youíre not prepared to take some time training it to recognise which messages you regard as spam, it wonít do its job properly. But for those who donít mind putting in a bit of time upfront, itís a very effective tool thatís well worth a look.
Bopspam offer a free no-strings 30 day trial to all new users. After that youíll pay between £30 and £50 a year dependant on the volume of mail you receive. Not cheap for home users then, but certainly worth considering if it saves you enough time and hassle in the long term.
Iím going to try some rival services over the coming months in order to see how BopSpam stacks up against its competitors for price and performance. Watch this space!
- Web Development Company completes investment in prime city centre premises
14th May 2014
- NetBop invest in a City Centre commercial premises
10th December 2013
- NetBop is delighted to sponsor the Dylan Thomas Prize
8th November 2013
- NetBop acquires Carmarthenshire web business and expands into West Wales
20th August 2013
- Web firm celebrates Investors in People Accreditation in Swansea
21st May 2013
- A spring Marathon fundraiser raised £2700 for Swansea Cancer Charity
23rd April 2013
- NetBop Celebrates its Tenth Anniversary in business!
5th December 2012
- NetBop is delighted to judge the Swansea Bay Young Business Dragons 2012
16th November 2012
- NetBop pledges their support to Entrepreneurship Academy Wales by sponsoring a Student
17th August 2012
- NetBop continues its expansion into High Wycombe and the South East
11th May 2012
- NetBop's Director appointed on the Strategy Board for Swansea Employability Academy
15th March 2012
- Web Company goes for a run
26th September 2011
- NetBop Awarded 'Business of the Month' for July 2011.
11th July 2011
- Welsh web company announces UK expansion
12th May 2011
- Web firm NetBop completes new acquisition (PVM Web Design)
3rd February 2011
- NetBop continues its expansion and appoints a new Web Developer to join the current team
1st December 2010
- NetBop's Director appointed on the board of Swansea Business Improvement District (BID)
18th October 2010
- NetBop supports Knowledge Exchange Wales
31st March 2010
- Swansea company scales new height in customer service
7th January 2010
- NetBop expansion gets new office site
19th October 2009 – South Wales Evening Post
- Expansion’s no gamble for Swansea firm
18th September 2009
- NetBop is awarded Nominet UK membership becoming a .UK accredited registrar and managing domain names directly with the registry
12th August 2009
- NetBop becomes Qualified Google Advertising Professionals with 2 staff members being awarded recognition
2nd July 2009
- NetBop becomes the first company in Swansea to be approved by the Prompt Payment Code an initiative devised by the government with The Institute of Credit Management (ICM)
21st May 2009
- Investors in People
- Member of the Federation of Small Businesses
- Google Partner
- Member of Nominet UK
- The Chartered Institute of Marketing
- Rising Stars
- Web User Gold Award
- British Small Business Champions
- Listed under Wales Hot 100
- We support Bee Carbon Free